Summer is here, the season of white wine! Your calendar is full of fun celebrations with family, friends and coworkers. With the great sunshine and excellent produce in season there are boundless pairing opportunities! Have your thoughts turned to fresh white wine pairings? Ours sure have!
To build these fresh pairing recommendations for you all, I looked back to my favorite summer flavors for inspiration and searched the online world of wine to challenge my own conceptions of pairing!
Now let’s have some fun and mix up your regular pairings for the big 3 of white wine!
- Savory Dishes = Bacon
- I know, you’re scratching your head wondering wait, isn’t bacon best with Pinot Noir? Now hear me out.. Buttery, rich, delicious & versatile? Describes the best of both Chardonnay and bacon! This weekend, I had some delicious blackforest thick cut bacon. As soon as I took a bite, I immediately thought of how it would be delightful with a glass of rich Chardonnay.
- Sweet = Vanilla Cupcakes with Mango Buttercream Frosting.
- Even just typing this, my mouth is watering at the thought of it. The smooth creaminess of the Chardonnay balances the vanilla cupcake flavor. While the delicious mango buttercream frosting is enhanced by fruity notes of the Mango Buttercream. *Best with unoaked, fruitier Chardonnays
- Produce = Fresh Summer Corn, Sweet Bell Peppers & Buttery Avocado
- Work these summer vegetables into your dishes when you are planning to pop a bottle of Chardonnay!
My recommendation, Krupp Brothers Chardonnay. The perfect balance of creamy smooth with bright acidity. Great for your summer pairing adventures and enjoyment!
- Savory = Spicy Tacos
- Sweet and spicy, need I say more? As for the tacos, traditional spicy chicken tacos would be delicious. And for a bit of twist, I recommend spicy tropical fish tacos with your summer riesling.
- Sweet = Peach Cobbler YUM! Balance the sweet peach notes and complexity of the Riesling.
- Peaches are one of my favorite fruits.. So naturally I am a sucker for just about every peach cobbler that has crossed my path. The sweet and fresh flavors of riesling will dance across your pallet.
- Produce = Peaches, Figs, Apricots, Papaya
Embrace these produce selections while they are ripe and fresh. If you are looking for a recipe to take for a spin, I suggest this Shrimp and Papaya Salad from Food and Wine.
My wine recommendation Mt. Hood Riesling. Delicious and delightful, unique flavors that would balance great with all these pairings.
- Savory = Thai Fish Cakes
- Great for an appetizer or as the main dish! Make these for your next summer get together with friends. Try making this dish yourself with the recipe from the Omnivore’s Cookbook.
- Fiona Beckett’s website recommending wine pairings is “spot on” from what we see. We thought others would like to know about her terrific website too. Check it out by clicking this button to explore her delicious thoughts on Sauvignon Blanc.
- Sweet = Lemon Bars
- In all honesty, I am a sucker for anything lemon. (pun intended!) Combining two of my favorites, Lemon & Sauvignon Blanc is just fantastic. So whip up your favorite lemon bar recipe or pick them up from a bakery on the way home from work. Let us know what you think of this zesty pairing!
- Produce = Cucumbers, Green Beans & Asparagus. Lean into that gorgeous green flavors of this wine!
My wine recommendation, Wooden Valley Sauvignon Blanc. Bright with a medley of citrus notes, perfect for summer occasions with your dearest friends and family. https://www.woodenvalley.com/product/2017-sauvignon-blanc/
Enjoy These Summertime White Wine Pairing Suggestions!
Enjoy your summer sunshine with these lovely pairings! Share any unique, fun pairings you tried yourself. Cheers!
Want to learn more about the 3 terrific wineries mentioned here? Click on these –
Brief: Wine, Beer, Cider & Spirit Enthusiast, World Traveler, Dog & Cat Lover
Claire is passionate about sharing & introducing different types beverages of beverages with the world – this inspired her career of Exporting American Wine, Beer, Cider & Spirits. Her vast knowledge comes from studying and traveling around the world, learning about intricate parts of the global alcohol industry.
It makes her day when she helps someone discover a new drink or a better understanding of how their favorite spirit is made. Claire believes that everyone should have the opportunity to enjoy and connect with quality, craft spirits, beer and wines.
The beauty in the many different types of craft alcohol is that by sharing a unique beverage with each other, you share a memory.
Claire’s Go To Drink: Rieslings (Dry or Sweet, she loves them all! )